Sungsumura Jatak | moral story for kids


Long long years ago. In ancient time during the reign of king Brahmadattva of Varanasi. Bodhisattva was born in a monkey family of Himabanta province. With great figure he had the strength like of an elephant. He was lucky and at the same time powerful. He was living in a forest on the turning point of the river Ganges. At the time there was a crocodile in the river Ganges. By seeing the strong body of the monkey the wife of the crocodile wised to eat the heart of the monkey.

The wife of the crocodile said to him that I have the wish to eat the heart of the monkey king. You arrange for it. The crocodile said “How it is possible? I live in water. He lives on the land. How can I catch him?”

Catch him in any way. I will die if I do not get the heart of the monkey.
Crocodile replied, yes,” There is a way. I shall bring to you. “The crocodile then went on the bank on the Ganges to Bodhisattva, the king of the monkey. After reaching the crocodile said,” Oh monkey king you are spoiling your life eating only the fruit of the bank of this river. On the other bank of the river there are plenty of many sweet fruits like mango and fig. Are you not willing to eat those fruits by going to the bank?”

Bodhisattva replied,” Ganges is very big river. It’s water is unlimited. How can I cross the river?” The crocodile replied,” If you wish there is a way. I can take you there on my back. Bodhisattva believed the assurance of crocodile and replied, well! let us go.”
crocodile said ,” Please sit on my back.”
Bodhisattva sat on a back of the crocodile. But going a far the crocodile was slowly sinking in the water.

Bodhisattva said,” friend, where are you sinking me? What kind of behavior is it?”
 Crocodile replied,” You thought that I was taking you there with a love towards you and for your benefit. But this is not that, My wife has a desire to eat your heart. I am arranging for that.” Bodhisattva replied,”replied. You did well by expressing the idea clearly. Our heart remains in the branch of the tree. Otherwise while jumping from one tree to another tree the heart would be divided into pieces.” Saying this Bodhisattva showed the fruits of fig on the bank of the river and said, please look my heart swinging in the fig tree.

Then the crocodile said,” See monkey king, if you give your heart then I will not kill you.”
Bodhisattva said,” Take me there. I shall give you my heart which is swinging in the tree.” Crocodile then took him near the tree. Bodhisattva in one jump sat on the branch of the tree.
Then Bodhisattva said,” Oh! foolish crocodile, you believed that the heart of the living beings remain on the branch of the tree. You are totally a foolish. I made you fool. Could you understand? In comparison to your huge body your intelligence is very meagre.

Saying this he uttered the following verses:

1. There is a food garden on the other bank of the river.
No need of mangoes, black berries and jackfruits.

The fruit like fig is good for me.
 Eating fruit like this let me pass my life in this bank.

2. Your body is very large but intelligence is very meagre.
Oh! Crocodile you are cheated. Oh! devoid sense now you go wherever you like.
Thus, a man gets repentance after loosing one thousand taka, so also the condition of the crocodile turns like this with a grief in mind he returned back.


Moral: Patience and intelligence can face danger.




Comments

Post a Comment

if you read this story please share your own opinion about the story.